Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

n-beeson

Drove for Uber once, must I pay for TurboTax deluxe just to report 1099-k for $12??

I don't want to pay for a service to report $12 dollars. Please assist.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

Drove for Uber once, must I pay for TurboTax deluxe just to report 1099-k for $12??

You are required to report all your income to the IRS.

Keep reading, please, for complete instructions on how you can proceed.

If you have already filed and left out an income item (1099-K), you should amend your return, but only after the original return has been completely processed (refund received or payment accepted). If you didn't prepare your original return in at least TurboTax Deluxe, you will have to upgrade to Deluxe.

If you haven't filed yet and fail to report an income item (1099-K), the IRS may send you an automated Notice of Proposed Increase in Taxes later this year. 

They will calculate the tax due (plus interest and penalties) and you can send them a check. On $12 of income, the most you could expect would be $4 or $5. No amended return is necessary, so you won't have to upgrade. 

The IRS uses this simplified procedure since It is extremely common to omit reporting various Form 1099s. You file before they arrive, they get lost in the mail, get lost in your house or get tossed along with junk mail. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ToddL

You are required to report all your income to the IRS.

Keep reading, please, for complete instructions on how you can proceed.

If you have already filed and left out an income item (1099-K), you should amend your return, but only after the original return has been completely processed (refund received or payment accepted). If you didn't prepare your original return in at least TurboTax Deluxe, you will have to upgrade to Deluxe.

If you haven't filed yet and fail to report an income item (1099-K), the IRS may send you an automated Notice of Proposed Increase in Taxes later this year. 

They will calculate the tax due (plus interest and penalties) and you can send them a check. On $12 of income, the most you could expect would be $4 or $5. No amended return is necessary, so you won't have to upgrade. 

The IRS uses this simplified procedure since It is extremely common to omit reporting various Form 1099s. You file before they arrive, they get lost in the mail, get lost in your house or get tossed along with junk mail. 

ToddL

Glad I could help!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies