turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-MISC was received for non-profit summer camp. I live in IL and was compensated for summer camps in MO and ME. Assuming I have to pay state taxes? Camp is based in ME

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

1099-MISC was received for non-profit summer camp. I live in IL and was compensated for summer camps in MO and ME. Assuming I have to pay state taxes? Camp is based in ME

You are not required to file a Maine tax return. From the ME Revenue Services website  Individual Income Tax FAQs: "Anyone who is not a resident of Maine, but performs personal services in Maine for more than 12 days and earns more than $3,000 of income from all Maine sources, must file a Maine return".

If the employer did not withhold MO income tax and your only MO income was $1225, you do not need to file a MO tax return. 

From the MO DOR website FAQs, you do "not have to file a Missouri return if:

• You are a resident and have less than $1,200 of Missouri adjusted gross income;
  • You are a nonresident with less than $600 of Missouri income; OR
  • Your Missouri adjusted gross income is less than the amount of your standard deduction plus your exemption amount."

The MO standard deduction for filing single is $6350; since your income was much less than that, you don't need to file a MO return or pay MO tax. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL

How much were you paid for the work in MO? Did the employer withhold MO tax? What was total for both locations?

I was paid an equal amount for both camps ($1225 for each camp). They did not withhold any tax. I am assuming MO has no evidence I was paid in their state. Per the director, no one has asked about this before and he mentioned that most just claim it on federal... Thanks for the help!
ToddL

You are not required to file a Maine tax return. From the ME Revenue Services website  Individual Income Tax FAQs: "Anyone who is not a resident of Maine, but performs personal services in Maine for more than 12 days and earns more than $3,000 of income from all Maine sources, must file a Maine return".

If the employer did not withhold MO income tax and your only MO income was $1225, you do not need to file a MO tax return. 

From the MO DOR website FAQs, you do "not have to file a Missouri return if:

• You are a resident and have less than $1,200 of Missouri adjusted gross income;
  • You are a nonresident with less than $600 of Missouri income; OR
  • Your Missouri adjusted gross income is less than the amount of your standard deduction plus your exemption amount."

The MO standard deduction for filing single is $6350; since your income was much less than that, you don't need to file a MO return or pay MO tax. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies