turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is turbotax requiring that I pay for filing my taxes? I have used turbotax in the past and not had to pay a dime.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Why is turbotax requiring that I pay for filing my taxes? I have used turbotax in the past and not had to pay a dime.

If your TurboTax Online fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing unwanted add-ons:

You can also clear and start over to remove all fees and start from scratch.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MichaelDC

If your TurboTax Online fees are higher than expected, you can reduce them by removing unwanted add-ons:

You can also clear and start over to remove all fees and start from scratch.

You are currently using TurboTax Deluxe Edition which has a cost. If you wanted to get the free file federal and state then you need to use either the Federal FREE Edition or Freedom Edition of TurboTax 2017. The links to both of those products are listed below. If you have already started your 2017 tax return but did not e-file or pay for your TurboTax fees and you wish to downgrade to one of the free options you can but that would include using the clear and start over feature, and that would erase everything that you have entered so far. I will provide the information below in a TurboTax FAQ as well for the clear and start over feature if you wish to use it and also information regarding understanding your TurboTax Fees.

TurboTax Federal Free Edition is a free solution for simple federal returns – 1040-EZ or 1040-A with the standard deduction.

If you upgrade to a higher-tier version or choose additional add-ons (such as TurboTax PLUS), there will be additional fees.

To get an itemized breakdown of your charges, start by reviewing your fees. You can then remove any add-ons before you pay by following these instructions:

·       Remove upgrade to Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business

·       Remove MAX

·       Remove Refund Processing Service

·       Remove TurboTax State

·       Remove TurboTax Premium Service

·       Remove TurboTax Federal Free Edition PLUS

You can also remove all fees by clearing your return and starting over, provided you haven't paid yet.

The TurboTax Federal Free Edition  is exclusively available at TurboTax.com. You'll quality to file at no cost if you:

·       Made less than $100,000

·       Don't own a home or rental property

·       Don't own a business or have 1099-MISC income

·       Didn't sell investments

·       Don't have major medical expenses

Get started with TurboTax Federal Free Edition today!

^^^Additional charges apply for the State Program.

To qualify for free 2016 federal and state tax returns in Freedom Edition, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

·       A maximum 2016 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $33,000; or

·       You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or

·       You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2016 AGI of $65,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

Freedom Edition is available online at www.taxfreedom.com. Please note that the Freedom Edition website is not connected to the TurboTax.com website.

Also – don't confuse Freedom Edition with Federal Free Edition at TurboTax.com. These similarly-named products are completely different.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies