turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I delete Schedule SE? I am self-employed overseas, pay local Social Security taxes so do not have to file schedule SE. But can't get rid of it.

Schedule SE is automatically generate when I fill out Schedule C. But with the agreement between US and France, I am not subject to self-employment tax. But when I tried to delete Schedule SE, it did not go away.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
Cindy0H

How can I delete Schedule SE? I am self-employed overseas, pay local Social Security taxes so do not have to file schedule SE. But can't get rid of it.

You are correct. You aren’t required to pay SE tax when any of the following applies:

You are subject only to the social security laws of a foreign country under the provisions of a social security agreement between the United States and that country.  

This is how to correct your situation:

• Business
  • Business Taxes...start
  • Self-employment tax...start
  • Make adjustments
  • Enter your profit in the box "Other SE Nonfarm Profit (loss)"  Enter it as a negative.

[Edited 04.13.19|1:22pmPST]

This did not solve my problem - it still created self-employment tax which I should not have to pay
Cindy0H

You entered your total profit from the Schedule C. Enter it as a negative
Cindy0H

I just tried it. It works
Cindy0H

[Edited 04.13.19|1:22pmPST]

I can see how entering the Other SE Nonfarm Profit (loss) as  a negative would cancel the Schedule C income and remove the self employment tax but this seems to me as a work-around which the IRS may not appreciate. All I need to do is delete the Self Employment tax form (SE)

OK, I see what you are recommending - by putting in the loss in SE Other non-farm profit (loss) it eliminates the form SE. Thanks. (Too bad Turbo Tax doesn't have a more direct solution for us overseas filers)
alex124
Returning Member

Hello,

Did you ever find an answer to this question? I have the same problem...

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You will not be able to delete Schedule SE in TurboTax as long as there is data flowing in from another source.

The solution by Community contributor @Cindy0H is the correct one.

@hankgturner The IRS does not see the Schedule SE Adjustments Worksheet. Worksheets to not get filed with the tax return.

@alex124

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies