turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kyleewojo

Help! I'm married but my spouse and I haven't been together in over 2 years. I have a one year old who isn't his. How can I file so I get the EIC????

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Help! I'm married but my spouse and I haven't been together in over 2 years. I have a one year old who isn't his. How can I file so I get the EIC????

You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year and can file as Head of Household if you meet all the following tests.

1. You file a separate return. A separate return includes a return claiming married filing separately, single, or head of household filing status.
  2. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.
  3. Your spouse didn't live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances..
  4. Your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or foster child for more than half the year.
  5. You must be able to claim an exemption for the child.

From what you described, you pass all the tests. You should file as head of household and claim your child as a dependent.

If your adjusted gross income is less than $39,617, you are eligible for the EIC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You are considered unmarried on the last day of the tax year and can file as Head of Household if you meet all the following tests.

1. You file a separate return. A separate return includes a return claiming married filing separately, single, or head of household filing status.
  2. You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your home for the tax year.
  3. Your spouse didn't live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year. Your spouse is considered to live in your home even if he or she is temporarily absent due to special circumstances..
  4. Your home was the main home of your child, stepchild, or foster child for more than half the year.
  5. You must be able to claim an exemption for the child.

From what you described, you pass all the tests. You should file as head of household and claim your child as a dependent.

If your adjusted gross income is less than $39,617, you are eligible for the EIC.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies