turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've been on an F1 Visa since Aug 2012 I graduated on May 2017 and I've been on OPT since Jul 2017. Should I file my taxes as a Resident Alien or as a Non Resident Alien?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

I've been on an F1 Visa since Aug 2012 I graduated on May 2017 and I've been on OPT since Jul 2017. Should I file my taxes as a Resident Alien or as a Non Resident Alien?

You are considered as a nonresident from 2012-2016.  Starting from January 1st, 2017, you are treated as a US resident for tax purposes as you meet the Substantial Presence Test  SPT.  ( stayed in the US for more than 183 days during 2017)

For year of 2017, you are a resident and file a Form 1040. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You are considered as a nonresident from 2012-2016.  Starting from January 1st, 2017, you are treated as a US resident for tax purposes as you meet the Substantial Presence Test  SPT.  ( stayed in the US for more than 183 days during 2017)

For year of 2017, you are a resident and file a Form 1040. 

foory

Same situation here. Should I include my first W2 to the second state form? The second state (WI) W2 doesn't include the first state's income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies