Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

chloengle

Okay, so I have a very specific situation here. Me and my husband just got married on January 1st but we had a baby in June of 2018 which is the same month that he left for boot camp. Up until Novembe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Okay, so I have a very specific situation here. Me and my husband just got married on January 1st but we had a baby in June of 2018 which is the same month that he left for boot camp. Up until Novembe

You actually can choose who claims your daughter if you all were living together after her birth.  (Your then boyfriend and now husband was considered temporarily absent while away at boot camp, which means he also lived with your baby all year for this purpose).  Congratulations by the way, on her birth and your marriage.  For 2018, you will not file a joint return because you did not marry until 2019 (albeit right on January 1).  But while you will file separate returns, you can compare who gets the greater benefit by claiming her.    However, while either is allowed to claim her, both of you cannot do so (to try to split benefits, for example).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Your question was cut off.  Were you married on January 2018 or 2019, and what other details did you have?
chloengle

2019! cont... Up until November, I was supporting myself and my daughter with income I had earned prior to giving birth. The only thing I didn't cover was rent which my *now* husband paid before he left for boot camp. We are wondering who should claim our daughter on our taxes and if we should file jointly or not.
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You actually can choose who claims your daughter if you all were living together after her birth.  (Your then boyfriend and now husband was considered temporarily absent while away at boot camp, which means he also lived with your baby all year for this purpose).  Congratulations by the way, on her birth and your marriage.  For 2018, you will not file a joint return because you did not marry until 2019 (albeit right on January 1).  But while you will file separate returns, you can compare who gets the greater benefit by claiming her.    However, while either is allowed to claim her, both of you cannot do so (to try to split benefits, for example).

chloengle

If our marriage license is dated in 2018 can we file jointly?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

@chloengle  I'm sorry.  I was away a couple of days.  You wouldn't be allowed to file jointly in 2018 if you married Jan. 1.  The Marriage Certificate provided by your city might have had a 2018 date because you obtained it prior to the wedding, but it's not official until the official presiding the ceremony signs, which he/she wouldn't have done until the wedding on January 1.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies