turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pomponi

I received a 1099-MISC for flat-rate travel reimbursement. Do I have to report this as income? If yes, how/where do I report the expenses? It's not self-employment.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Patrice

I received a 1099-MISC for flat-rate travel reimbursement. Do I have to report this as income? If yes, how/where do I report the expenses? It's not self-employment.

Yes, you are required to report this income.  You would report this income and expenses in the Business section of TurboTax.  

To enter this in TurboTax Self-Employed (online) or TurboTax Home & Business (desktop):

• Start under the Business tab
  • How do you want to enter your business income?, then I'll choose what I work on
  • In the "Business Income and Expenses" section, next to "Profit or Loss from Business", click Start or Update
  • The next screen will ask "Did you have any income and expenses for a business in 2016?". Answer Yes.
  • Follow the interview until you reach "Let's confirm your business info". Verify everything is accurate, then Continue
  • Enter Business Information, click Continue
  • Tell us about your business, click Continue
  • Enter Employer ID Number, If Any, click Continue
  • Do you use the cash method of accounting to run your business?, click Continue
  • Did you make any payments that required you to issue a form 1099?, click Continue
  • Do any of these uncommon situations apply to your business?, click Continue
  • Let's confirm your business info, click Continue
  • Your Business page
  • Go to Business Income
  • Business Income, then Click Start.
  • General Income, click Start
  • Tell us about additional income (Please note: it states Make sure to include any income reported on Form 1099-K and income from a barter or exchange)
  • Type in your description,  click Continue

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800425

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Patrice

Is the income listed in box 7 on the 1099-MISC?
pomponi

Yes.
Patrice

Yes, you are required to report this income.  You would report this income and expenses in the Business section of TurboTax.  

To enter this in TurboTax Self-Employed (online) or TurboTax Home & Business (desktop):

• Start under the Business tab
  • How do you want to enter your business income?, then I'll choose what I work on
  • In the "Business Income and Expenses" section, next to "Profit or Loss from Business", click Start or Update
  • The next screen will ask "Did you have any income and expenses for a business in 2016?". Answer Yes.
  • Follow the interview until you reach "Let's confirm your business info". Verify everything is accurate, then Continue
  • Enter Business Information, click Continue
  • Tell us about your business, click Continue
  • Enter Employer ID Number, If Any, click Continue
  • Do you use the cash method of accounting to run your business?, click Continue
  • Did you make any payments that required you to issue a form 1099?, click Continue
  • Do any of these uncommon situations apply to your business?, click Continue
  • Let's confirm your business info, click Continue
  • Your Business page
  • Go to Business Income
  • Business Income, then Click Start.
  • General Income, click Start
  • Tell us about additional income (Please note: it states Make sure to include any income reported on Form 1099-K and income from a barter or exchange)
  • Type in your description,  click Continue

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4800425

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies