turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

qubit

1042-S for a resident alien: Which tax form I need to fill out?

I have been living as a F1- visa holder in the US for 8.5 years. For some reason this year, I got 1042s (which I never got before). The income code is 16 and Exemption code is 00. After doing some online digging up, I know that I need to fill out paper forms and mail the documents. Which form I need to fill for Federal Tax and which one I need for state ( I live in Ohio) ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DS30

1042-S for a resident alien: Which tax form I need to fill out?

Yes, you need to enter the 1042-S on your Form 1040 if you are a US resident alien. If you received a 1042-S then the IRS has also received a copy of this 1042-S.

You will only need to enter any scholarship income that was not considered used for qualifying education expenses.

You will enter the 1042-S income under deductions and credit related to education.

Since you have no exemption listed on the form, you will not be able to take any treaty exemption.

However you may want to check this the issuer of your 1042-S to see if any amount is available for a treaty exemption (usually scholarship income is available for this exemption but may not be available to you based on the time you have been in the US).

Since Form 8833 is not supported by TurboTax, here is the link to the IRS website regarding claiming a tax treaty benefit:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Claiming-Tax-Treaty-Benefits

To enter your 1042-S related to your scholarship into TurboTax:

1. Click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Deductions and Credit
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Education
  5. Choose "show more", then Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)
  6. You will need to choose the student this Scholarship relates to and select "edit"
  7. Under the Education Summary page, select "Scholarships and Grants" - edit
  8. Say "yes" - to question "Did (name) receive a scholarship or grant in 2015?"
  9. Enter amount as "Other Scholarships/Grants/Fellowships (screenshot #1)

If you determine that a tax treaty exemption is available for this income. you will need to enter a negative amount for the treaty exemption under other miscellaneous income

To enter your treaty exemption under as other miscellaneous income:

1. Click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages and Income
  3. Next click on "jump to full list" or “I’ll choose what I work on”
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Less Common Income
  5. Choose "show more", then Miscellaneous Income
  6. Choose "Other Reportable Income" and enter this information here under other taxable income (screenshot #2)
  7. You should use a description related to the tax treaty article exempting the income (ie: China-US tax treaty, exemption under article 20) and the exempt amount as a negative number.

If you are a not considered a resident of OH but you has OH source income, you will need to file a nonresident OH state income tax return to report this income if it is considered OH source income.

Just select OH under the state taxes tax and select that you are a nonresident.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies