Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aontae

Filing W2 for another year after filing for last year?

I have my W2 for 2016. I never filed for 2015 but was planning to file it this year. I am waiting for my job to sen it to me however I would like to file for my 2016 taxes now. Is it possible to do so or would i have to make some kind of amendment or should i just wait to file both at the same time?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

Yes you must file your 2016 Tax Return with your 2016 W2 this year before April 18, 2016 or file an extension to file by October 15, 2017.

You cannot file your W2 from 2015 with your 2016 Tax Return. The forms and electronic formats provided by the IRS indicate which Tax Year they are being filed for. Additionally you can no longer file for Tax year 2015 on TurboTax Online. You must purchase a TurboTax Desktop product in order to file a 2015 Tax Return. You can purchase 2015 TurboTax software from a third-party vendor or you can purchase it directly from TurboTax by clicking on the following Link:

File Past Years' Tax Returns

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JaimeG

Yes you must file your 2016 Tax Return with your 2016 W2 this year before April 18, 2016 or file an extension to file by October 15, 2017.

You cannot file your W2 from 2015 with your 2016 Tax Return. The forms and electronic formats provided by the IRS indicate which Tax Year they are being filed for. Additionally you can no longer file for Tax year 2015 on TurboTax Online. You must purchase a TurboTax Desktop product in order to file a 2015 Tax Return. You can purchase 2015 TurboTax software from a third-party vendor or you can purchase it directly from TurboTax by clicking on the following Link:

File Past Years' Tax Returns

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies