turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

meow9891

Would like to e-file federal return and paper file the state return. How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Would like to e-file federal return and paper file the state return. How do I do this?

Yes, you can. You will have to pay for both your federal and state returns now, and when you get to the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select the File by mail button and click the I'm not ready to file radio button below your state and click save. 

Please see below for directions on how to print and file by mail, your state return, when you are ready:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Yes, you can. You will have to pay for both your federal and state returns now, and when you get to the Let's get ready to e-file screen, select the File by mail button and click the I'm not ready to file radio button below your state and click save. 

Please see below for directions on how to print and file by mail, your state return, when you are ready:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3401713

claytoncramer1
Returning Member

This does not work.

"Yes, you can."  TurboTax is designed to discourage you from paper filing the state tax.  You have to e-file the federal tax, postpone the state tax, and go back and select paper file both.   TurboTax knows that the fed tax was e-filed and takes you to paper filing the state tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies