turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

To see if I wanted to purchase turbotax, I entered info on neighbors Turbotax premier. I have info on a flash drive. Can I enter that into the version that I purchase?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

To see if I wanted to purchase turbotax, I entered info on neighbors Turbotax premier. I have info on a flash drive. Can I enter that into the version that I purchase?

Yes - You can enter that file into your copy of TurboTax, as long as you are using a CD/Download version (installed on your computer).  You can't import the file into the online versions of TurboTax.

After installing TurboTax on your computer, you can access your file using these steps:

1. Insert your stick drive in your computer.
  2. On the TurboTax home screen, click the link Find a Tax File.
  3. A Windows Explorer screen will pop up. 
  4. Navigate to your stick drive and double-click on the TurboTax file. [It will have the .tax2018 extension.]
  5. The file will open to where you left off.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You need to have the file ending in .tax2018.  First copy that from the flash drive to your computer.  Open it from your computer.  Turbo Tax puts your tax files and pdf files in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  So you might want to copy it there.

The programs need to be installed from the CD or download them again.  You don't need to install them unless you need to amend or open a return.  

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901474-move-your-tax-return-to-a-different-computer

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies