turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim my girlfriend as a dependent as she doesn't have any income

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim your girlfriend as a dependent if all of the following are true:

• Your girlfriend lived in your home for the entire year and is considered to be a member of your household. If they don't live with you, they need to be related to you.
  • Your girlfriend's Income is less than $4,150 (not including Social Security and welfare).
  • Generally, you provide more than half of your girlfriend's support.
  • Your girlfriend is not a dependent on someone else's return.
  • Your girlfriend is a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can claim your girlfriend as a dependent if all of the following are true:

• Your girlfriend lived in your home for the entire year and is considered to be a member of your household. If they don't live with you, they need to be related to you.
  • Your girlfriend's Income is less than $4,150 (not including Social Security and welfare).
  • Generally, you provide more than half of your girlfriend's support.
  • Your girlfriend is not a dependent on someone else's return.
  • Your girlfriend is a United States citizen; or a resident or national of the U.S., Canada or Mexico.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jmill157

I have been reading on this (although I think I need a tax pro this year, I purchased my first home, single with just my name on the home. She hasn’t worked all year as she was laid off NYE 2018 and gave birth in March so she didn’t go looking for a job. I myself was laid off exactly one month after my girl was born. I know it’s not next year yet, bud with my severance I’ll make Jan-Aug from my old job. Am assuming even if I find a job I’rd be wise to claim the baby, claim head of household etc: But how would I prove my more than 50% of the year support for her? Cad payment and insurance I have been transferring money to her instead of having her car payments and insurance come from my account, but her credit cards cell phone every other bill is from my account. I’m assuming simple proof she has $0 savings and seeing my Zelle xfers to her for the same amounts every month, and that’s the only money coming out of the account. I know this is for next year, and I apologize for hijacking this, just a wanna make sure I’m getting as much tax refund possible as the GF refuses any Govt assistance because she’s afraid of possible judgement at stores. Thanks to all, peace and nice
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies