turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

malloyhay

Can I claim child as dependent? She is 19 and full time college student, has $12000 in w2's, lives at home and I support her.

Can I claim child as dependent?  She is 19 and full time college student, has $12000 in w2's, lives at home and I support her. When I entered her info she was due a $600 refund, when I selected that she would be claimed as a dependent on my return her refund dropped to $66. Why did it drop, and how can she get the full withheld amount? Thank you in advance! 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim child as dependent? She is 19 and full time college student, has $12000 in w2's, lives at home and I support her.

Yes, you can claim your 19 year old full-time colleges student as your dependent.  The reason she does not get a "full refund" is that when you claim a dependent, the dependent does not get the $4050 personal exemption--you get that on your own tax return.  The exemption lowers the amount of income that is taxable.  So anything over her $6300 standard deduction is taxable income for her.  The rule is  if she "can" be claimed she must say on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Yes, you can claim your 19 year old full-time colleges student as your dependent.  The reason she does not get a "full refund" is that when you claim a dependent, the dependent does not get the $4050 personal exemption--you get that on your own tax return.  The exemption lowers the amount of income that is taxable.  So anything over her $6300 standard deduction is taxable income for her.  The rule is  if she "can" be claimed she must say on her return that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
malloyhay

One last question. Does my daughter have to file her own tax return? I understand following the rule "can be claimed..."

Yes, with the earnings you mentioned, she does need to file a tax return.
malloyhay

Thank you very much for your time and answers!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies