turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are legal fees deductible? My wife was accused of a felony and had her teaching credentials suspended.The fees were for her legal defense.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Are legal fees deductible? My wife was accused of a felony and had her teaching credentials suspended.The fees were for her legal defense.

Yes, legal fees are deductible as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction, and is subject to the 2% rule.  In order to claim a deduction for legal fees you must itemize your deductions.  Additionally, the deduction is allowed only for the amount that is more than 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). 

Example: If your AGI is $80,000, your expenses would have to be more than $1,600 ($80,000 x 2%). Even then, you could only deduct the amount over $1,600. So, if your miscellaneous deductions were $2,000 you could only deduct $400 ($2,000 - $1,600).

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Yes, legal fees are deductible as a Miscellaneous Itemized Deduction, and is subject to the 2% rule.  In order to claim a deduction for legal fees you must itemize your deductions.  Additionally, the deduction is allowed only for the amount that is more than 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). 

Example: If your AGI is $80,000, your expenses would have to be more than $1,600 ($80,000 x 2%). Even then, you could only deduct the amount over $1,600. So, if your miscellaneous deductions were $2,000 you could only deduct $400 ($2,000 - $1,600).

Manage cookies