turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dcd

Will there be an issue if I had a dependent care FSA pretax deduction for my son but am not claiming him this year?

I had $4000 pretax taken from my wages in 2018 but my fiancé and I decided last minute he would actually be claiming our son. Is there going to be a possible issue if I cannot justify the dependent care credit because my son will no longer be on my return. Is there any other form I may need to fill out?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CynthiaR

Will there be an issue if I had a dependent care FSA pretax deduction for my son but am not claiming him this year?

If there are no day care expenses being claimed on your taxes then the FSA for $4,000 will be added to your income as taxable income.   Your wages were reduced by the $4,000 so now with this FSA was not used it has to adjust your wages up by that amount.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
CynthiaR

If there are no day care expenses being claimed on your taxes then the FSA for $4,000 will be added to your income as taxable income.   Your wages were reduced by the $4,000 so now with this FSA was not used it has to adjust your wages up by that amount.

Dcd

Is this automatically done by the TTax software?
CynthiaR

yes it would be automatic
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies