turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is it possible to remove a dependent in order to be claimed by the other parent?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is it possible to remove a dependent in order to be claimed by the other parent?

Yes, if you want to completely remove the dependent from your return follow the steps below. 

If you have not already filed your return (or are fixing a rejected return), you can simply return to the My Info section and delete the dependent -

• Click the My Info Tab
  • This should bring you to an My Info Summary Page.  Click the Delete button (might look like a trash can) next to where your dependent's name shows

If you have already filed your return, then you will need to amend your return to remove the dependent.  Click here for instructions on how to file your amended return.  Once inside your amended return, the process for removing the dependent will be the same.

Note:  If you have already filed, then the other parent is going to continue to experience a rejection because even after you amend, the child's SSN is going to be locked in the e-file system.  In this case, the other parent should mail their return instead of e-file.

Note:  You may not want to completely remove a dependent as certain tax benefits are only available to a custodial parent - i.e. earned income credit - and instead you should indicate in the program that the other parent is claiming the child.  the other parent is going to experience the same rejection notice for SSN as above, but this is proper tax reporting and they can paper file their return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Yes, if you want to completely remove the dependent from your return follow the steps below. 

If you have not already filed your return (or are fixing a rejected return), you can simply return to the My Info section and delete the dependent -

• Click the My Info Tab
  • This should bring you to an My Info Summary Page.  Click the Delete button (might look like a trash can) next to where your dependent's name shows

If you have already filed your return, then you will need to amend your return to remove the dependent.  Click here for instructions on how to file your amended return.  Once inside your amended return, the process for removing the dependent will be the same.

Note:  If you have already filed, then the other parent is going to continue to experience a rejection because even after you amend, the child's SSN is going to be locked in the e-file system.  In this case, the other parent should mail their return instead of e-file.

Note:  You may not want to completely remove a dependent as certain tax benefits are only available to a custodial parent - i.e. earned income credit - and instead you should indicate in the program that the other parent is claiming the child.  the other parent is going to experience the same rejection notice for SSN as above, but this is proper tax reporting and they can paper file their return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies