Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have been taking photos at on the weekends but have a unrelated full time job. Can I sell some photos and just declare the income on my personal tax return as a hobby?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

I have been taking photos at on the weekends but have a unrelated full time job. Can I sell some photos and just declare the income on my personal tax return as a hobby?

Yes, if you are not in the business of regularly selling pictures you should report the transactions as hobby income.  Expenses can be used to the extent of income if you can itemized deductions.  TurboTax will ask you for the expenses at the same time you enter the income and will provide the best result for your tax situation based on all your entries.

• Select Federal from the menu tree on the left, then scroll to Less Common Income (under Wages & Income). 
  • Select Miscellaneous Income, then select Hobby Income & Expenses
    • Or you can simply type hobby expenses in the search to arrive there. 

Note:  This will require an upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe because it will require a Form 1040.  TurboTax will walk you through this process and maintain all your data.  This type of income is not allowed to be reported on a Form 1040EZ or 1040A.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Yes, if you are not in the business of regularly selling pictures you should report the transactions as hobby income.  Expenses can be used to the extent of income if you can itemized deductions.  TurboTax will ask you for the expenses at the same time you enter the income and will provide the best result for your tax situation based on all your entries.

• Select Federal from the menu tree on the left, then scroll to Less Common Income (under Wages & Income). 
  • Select Miscellaneous Income, then select Hobby Income & Expenses
    • Or you can simply type hobby expenses in the search to arrive there. 

Note:  This will require an upgrade to TurboTax Deluxe because it will require a Form 1040.  TurboTax will walk you through this process and maintain all your data.  This type of income is not allowed to be reported on a Form 1040EZ or 1040A.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies