Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm using Turbotax online and trying to find details about quarterly estimated tax. Where do I find these?

Please tell me how to find the "Other Tax Situations" tab, I've already read the help pages that tell me to do this, but I'm unable to find it in my TT online.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

I'm using Turbotax online and trying to find details about quarterly estimated tax. Where do I find these?

Please tell me how to find the "Other Tax Situations" tab, I've already read the help pages that tell me to do this, but I'm unable to find it in my TT online.

Click on ADD A STATE on your middle screen print to get back into your return.
JulieH1

Thanks VolvoGirl.  We tried the click on Add a State (in comments below) but OP says she cannot see it on her online product.

Oh I missed you gave that.  I didn’t read close enough.
JulieH1

If you want to know how to make estimated payments:

If you go into the program and, under the "Other Tax Situations" tab, select the "Form W-4 and estimated income taxes" interview, that's where you can tell TurboTax your best estimates of what your 2017 income tax return might look like - income, deductions, filing status, dependents, any income tax withholding, etc., etc.  TurboTax will then determine if the payment of estimated taxes is needed and will give you options as to how much to pay that will keep you from being "underpaid" when you finally prepare your 2017 income tax return.  It will produce vouchers - Forms 1040ES - for those payments.

If you want to know how to enter estimated payments:

Enter any federal, state or local estimated tax payments you’ve made under Estimates, in the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid section. You'll find this section in Deductions & Credits under either the Federal Taxes tab or the Personal tab, depending on the product. For a shortcut, type “estimates paid” in the search box and use the “Jump to” link.

Your state and local tax payments are automatically transferred to your state return. We’ll also use them to determine whether you’d benefit from itemized deductions, instead of a standard deduction.

Additional information:

To add estimated federal and state quarterly taxes for 2018 

1. Sign In or Open TurboTax

2. Select "Take me to my return" (Online)

3. Select "My Account" on top right of the screen (Online)

4. Click on "Tools" (Online)

5. Go to "Topics Search" (Online) or "Search Topics" in the top center of screen (Desktop)

6. Type "1040-ES estimate tax for next year" and press "enter" (Online) or "ok" (Desktop) to add estimated federal and state quarterly taxes for 2018. 

JulieH1

I am going to attach screen shots in the above answer.  COmment back to tell me if you find the area.  It is under Federal Taxes.

Yeah... mine looks NOTHING like that. If it did I wouldn't have a problem. I'll attach screen shots to the question.
JulieH1

Ok.

screenshot added
JulieH1

Ok.  I am actually a tax attorney but I thought your question was more about estimated taxes so I answered it.  I asked IT.  After I see your screenshot, I know the reason you do not see "other tax situations" is because you have already filed.  IT says that in order to get back to where you see the "other tax situations"  
he needs:
 to click on Add state
it will take him back to the return
he will not be adding a state but it will reopen the other buttons.

I am attaching a screenshot in the answer (I cannot add in comment) of what it should look like when you get back to it.

Still doesn't look like that. I'll add another screen shot. Oh BTW I'm using turbotax through BECU - does that make a difference?
JulieH1

Yes.  I do not have access to that to tell what to look for.  Let's try this.  Post another question that reads " how do I find the "other tax situations" button when using BECU TT SE online?"  A new question will reroute you to someone that can help you better than me at this point.  Its very hard when I cannot see what you see.  Good luck.

thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies