turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaylaura1

Do I need to complete a 1099 for someone I split commissions with?

I operate a sole proprietor as a real estate agent.  We did not form a partnership because she was not a licensed agent but we worked the business as a team and split commissions.  Do I need to complete a 1099 for her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes, especially if you paid her over $600 for her help.  1099's for 2017 were due to the IRS on January 31, 2018, so you should complete her 1099 as soon as possible.  

Please use this link to access TurboTax Quick Employer Forms:  https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/welcomeNewCustomer.htm

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Yes, especially if you paid her over $600 for her help.  1099's for 2017 were due to the IRS on January 31, 2018, so you should complete her 1099 as soon as possible.  

Please use this link to access TurboTax Quick Employer Forms:  https://quickemployerforms.intuit.com/welcomeNewCustomer.htm

jacohn

As  a loan officer, I had commissions paid to me on my W-2 that were split with my partner

I paid him by check and issued him a 1099 for the $6500 (his share)

In years past, this was a 1099 pmt and easy to get the funds out of net income. 

If I take it a a business expense without income it is causing the business to lose $  - leaving the full amount in the personal income section - 

How to I correctly account for the commission I paid to others and adjust my personal income?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies