Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does ur program say my standard deduction for single is 1050 causing me to pay 201 in federal taxes when it should be 6300 which means i would pay no tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does ur program say my standard deduction for single is 1050 causing me to pay 201 in federal taxes when it should be 6300 which means i would pay no tax?

When you are claimed as a dependent, there are special rules that determine what your standard deduction is. Those rules are spelled out in IRS Pub. 501, at this link
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Are you being claimed as a dependent?

yes by my parents both me and my son

When you are claimed as a dependent, there are special rules that determine what your standard deduction is. Those rules are spelled out in IRS Pub. 501, at this link
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

If you have unearned income more than $1050, it is taxable if you are someone else's dependent.  Unearned income is income from interest, investments, stocks and bonds, and certain other passive activities.  The $6300 limit applies to earned income (income from working or performing a service).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies