turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2017 Single and sold a residence property with a profit over $250K. If I have zero income for 2017 will I have to pay long term capital gains on the amount over $250K ?

Tax Year 2017

Filing Status Single [but looking]

Residential Property Sold for over $250K [Held for 10 years should be long term capital gain]

Working & Living Overseas in 2017 so assuming I have zero or less than $39K in reportable income will I have to pay captial gains on the amount over $250K?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

2017 Single and sold a residence property with a profit over $250K. If I have zero income for 2017 will I have to pay long term capital gains on the amount over $250K ?

All of your income is reportable, and goes on your tax return.  Even your Foreign Earned Income.

If you meet certain rules, you may not directly owe tax on your Foreign Earned Income.  However, that Foreign Earned Income DOES still affect the taxation of your other income, including your capital gains.

In other words, if your total income (INCLUDING your Foreign Earned Income) are in the 25% tax bracket or higher, those capital gains will be taxable (usually 15% for Federal, plus State).  It is also possible it could be subject to the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Was this your personal residence, or a rental?

Yes.  This will qualify as my personal residence.

"If I have zero income for 2017"
No income at all for 2017?  How are you supporting yourself?

is that relevant?

Yes, because that may affect the capital gains tax rate; or the ability of someone else to claim you as a dependent.  Users also sometimes say they have no income when they mean they have no earned income (i.e., wages.) However, other types of income can be taxable: unemployment comp, Social Security, retitrement plans, scholarships, etc..

All of your income is reportable, and goes on your tax return.  Even your Foreign Earned Income.

If you meet certain rules, you may not directly owe tax on your Foreign Earned Income.  However, that Foreign Earned Income DOES still affect the taxation of your other income, including your capital gains.

In other words, if your total income (INCLUDING your Foreign Earned Income) are in the 25% tax bracket or higher, those capital gains will be taxable (usually 15% for Federal, plus State).  It is also possible it could be subject to the 3.8% Net Investment Income Tax.

Thanks TaxGuyBill.  That answers my question!
juliob
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, any sales gain over the $250k (assuming you qualify for the exclusion) will be taxed. For more information on Sale of Home, please click on the following link: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Home-Ownership/Tax-Aspects-of-Home-Ownership--Selling...

Depending on how much income you will make overseas will affect your long-term capital gains on the sale of your home.

Fortunately, capital gains receive special treatment vs ordinary income:

Therefore, your overall income will dictate your capital gains tax rate...

If you purchased Turbotax Deluxe (or higher) or acquired PLUS product, you may speak to a live tax advice expert over the phone if you want to get in to the details of your tax situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies