Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband worked in Michigan for only 6-8 weeks do we need to file taxes with that state as well or not??? [removed attached PII]

With the way that I have filed the taxes as of right now we are getting back in our state that we live in 653 and where my husband worked in Michigan for 6-8 weeks we are having to pay them 453 and I am not sure if this is correct?? Should I even be filing in the state of Michigan at all or not?? He stayed in a hotel and wasn't a legal resident of the state or anything like that it was just due to not having work in North Carolina and they had to travel out of state to find work within the company.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

My husband worked in Michigan for only 6-8 weeks do we need to file taxes with that state as well or not??? [removed attached PII]

Yes.  According to the instructions for the MI-1040, as a nonresident, you must pay Michigan income tax on: "Salary, wages, and other employee compensation for work performed in Michigan, unless you live in a state covered by a reciprocal agreement.”  [MI does not have a reciprocal agreement with NC.]

It is best to prepare you MI nonresident return first so that the taxes calculated will flow properly to your NC returns.  On your NC return, you can claim a credit for taxes paid to another state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Yes.  According to the instructions for the MI-1040, as a nonresident, you must pay Michigan income tax on: "Salary, wages, and other employee compensation for work performed in Michigan, unless you live in a state covered by a reciprocal agreement.”  [MI does not have a reciprocal agreement with NC.]

It is best to prepare you MI nonresident return first so that the taxes calculated will flow properly to your NC returns.  On your NC return, you can claim a credit for taxes paid to another state.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies