turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Working for an international organization and Covid stimulus check

Hello all,

I am a consultant for the World Bank and I am resident in the US (greencard holder). As per an agreement between the institution and the US government, I do not need to file taxes. Thus, I have not been filing them since I started working there in Jan 2018. What do I need to do to receive the stimulus check?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If you have not filed a 2019 tax return and you are not required to file a tax return and you do not receive Social Security benefits, then use this TurboTax website to register for the stimulus - https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/

Thank you. 

One more question: the TurboTax gives me 2 options:

1. I don’t meet the minimum requirements to file a tax return. I’m registering to get my stimulus payment. I agree to have you submit a minimal tax return document on my behalf.

2. I will file a full tax return. We’ll take you to tax prep, so you can file your taxes. Then the IRS will automatically issue the stimulus payment you’re due.

I am not sure where I fit because I don't file taxes just because of the agreement between the World Bank and the US government not because I don't meet 'the minimum requirements to file a tax return'. 

I think I should go with option 1. What do you think?

@nicolebouris wrote:

Thank you. 

One more question: the TurboTax gives me 2 options:

1. I don’t meet the minimum requirements to file a tax return. I’m registering to get my stimulus payment. I agree to have you submit a minimal tax return document on my behalf.

2. I will file a full tax return. We’ll take you to tax prep, so you can file your taxes. Then the IRS will automatically issue the stimulus payment you’re due.

I am not sure where I fit because I don't file taxes just because of the agreement between the World Bank and the US government not because I don't meet 'the minimum requirements to file a tax return'. 

I think I should go with option 1. What do you think?

If you are a US citizen then you are required to report your income and will have to complete Schedule SE for Self-Employment taxes which are Social Security and Medicare taxes.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/employees-of-a-foreign-government-or-interna...

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

Yes, use option 1. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies