turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CaptLes

E-filing state return

I am confused.  Am I am using Deluxe to prepare two different federal and state returns (for my daughter and myself). When I click to Start my daughter's state return, I get a message Your copy of TurboTax includes one free state. Yet the FAQ states,

TurboTax Basic, Deluxe, Premier, and Home & Business software lets you prepare and paper-file as many state returns as you want.

However, you can only e-file returns in up to three different states for each federal return you prepare. The rest will need to be paper-filed.

So, when I prepare my return, will I be able to prepare my state's return?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
nkjith

E-filing state return

With the desktop version of TurboTax, you can prepare as many federal returns as you need to;  you can e-file up to 5 federal returns (the IRS limit) but print sign and mail more than that if necessary if you are preparing returns for family members, etc.

The software should include one state download to prepare state returns--it is an extra fee to e-file the state return (but you can print sign and mail state returns). 

In your case, you can download one state for free. If you and your daughter are preparing the same state, you need not pay anything extra for downloading the state.

While e-filing you have to pay the fee for state e-file for both yourself and your daughter.

Hope this helps, please get back in case you have further questions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
nkjith

E-filing state return

With the desktop version of TurboTax, you can prepare as many federal returns as you need to;  you can e-file up to 5 federal returns (the IRS limit) but print sign and mail more than that if necessary if you are preparing returns for family members, etc.

The software should include one state download to prepare state returns--it is an extra fee to e-file the state return (but you can print sign and mail state returns). 

In your case, you can download one state for free. If you and your daughter are preparing the same state, you need not pay anything extra for downloading the state.

While e-filing you have to pay the fee for state e-file for both yourself and your daughter.

Hope this helps, please get back in case you have further questions.

E-filing state return

I PAID THE 19.99 FEE FOR E-FILING MY STATE RETURN BUT WHEN I TRIED TO E-FILE THE PROGRAM INDICATED THAT I NEEDED TO PAY ANOTHER 19.99 PLUS PROCESSING CHARGE.  THE 19.99 WAS CHARGED TO MY ACCOUNT  ON 1-19-2020.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies