greynovel

With medical & ambulance bills that are being paid off monthly and aren't finished yet, how can you list how much of your payment went to each item? Like the miles?

I have separate payment plans for the medical and ambulance bills, that are still being paid off. The receipts from my payments don't specify which items my payment went to, as they only subtract from the total bill. However, I still have the itemized lists of what the bills actually are. Like lets say the items for the hospital are A, B, C. The bill is 1,000, and I've paid 600 so far. Should I just assume that my payments were split equally between A, B, C when itemizing?

And for the ambulance, you only fill out how many miles it was. So if my ambulance ride was 10 miles and the bill was 1,500 and I paid 700 off so far, am I still supposed to fill out that my ride was 10 miles, despite it not being paid in full? (Probably not?) 

Or am I not even eligible for a deduction if it is with a payment plan until next year when it is 100% paid off? 

Anita01

It doesn't really matter which category of medical expense you choose.  Those categories are just to make it easier for you to tell if you've entered all your expenses.  The categories are not filed and the IRS does not care about them.  You can enter all your payments as hospital or medical payments.  You can only take a deduction for the amount you actually pay in the year you pay it.  If you paid $500 in 2017, that's what you enter in 2017.  

You only receive a deduction for the amount of your medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income for the year.

Anita01