turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will Turbo Tax for Mac be able to transfer my prior years returns done on Turbo Tax Windows software?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Will Turbo Tax for Mac be able to transfer my prior years returns done on Turbo Tax Windows software?

Yes.  Both Windows and Mac use the same .tax2020 file. Just copy the prior year .tax file to the other computer.   If you buy the Desktop CD it has both the Windows and  Mac programs on it.   If you buy the download be sure to buy the right one.

(edited:  Oh...going from Windows to a MAC...be careful though, for the use of the actual software, MACs have a far more limited backward software compatibility than Windows 10 does)

.....make sure you create PDF files for each of the prior years ( both a filing-only PDF, and a PDF with all forms and worksheets) on the MAC  Windows computer first, just in case you have difficulty installing the prior year's software on the new MAC computer.   

TTX still has 2018 and 2019 Downloads for Windows MACs, but looks like they've already removed 2017.   For any years earlier than 2018, even of you can find the software, you may not be able to update them, or load your states.......and those would be required to be able to open any .taxyyyy datafiles you may have.....so the PDFs would be critical to save for those earlier years so that you have an exact record of what you actually filed 

(2017 software is likely in a hazy area as to whether it could be fully updated in the next couple months, along with any states you would need to open any 2017 datafiles you have...so get those PDF files created now if you don't already have them)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

You only need the file ending in .tax2020 to transfer into 2021.

Your tax files end in .tax or .tax2017, .tax2018 or .tax2019 or .tax2020 etc.  They should be in your Documents in a Turbo Tax folder.  You should also have the pdf files of each year.  Or search your computer for all files ending in .tax.  Also if you haven't done it,  I would open each year in the program and save it as a PDF file, go to File-Save to PDF so you don't need the program installed to view or print your return in the future like to get a mortgage or loan, etc.

What I would do is just copy the whole Turbo Tax folder that is under your Documents.  That should be where the .tax files and pdf files are stored.  Copy that folder to a flash drive or best yet is to burn it to a CD or DVD and then you will have a backup of them.   Then on the new computer copy the folder (or files) from the flash drive to your Documents folder.

If you are moving to a Mac from Windows or to Windows from Mac you will need to install the right program.  If you have the CD it has both windows and Mac programs on it.  If you downloaded the program you might need to call in and ask for the other download.  Unless you have both downloads in your account already.

To Transfer from windows See Transferring from Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-transfer-last-year-s-return-into-the-t...

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies