turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it telling me to mail in state tax returns when I tried to add my 1098-T form even when my state doesn’t have state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DeniseF1

Why is it telling me to mail in state tax returns when I tried to add my 1098-T form even when my state doesn’t have state taxes?

If your state does not have a state income tax, you can opt out of filing a state return.  There is nothing further for you to do as it relates to filing a state return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DeniseF1

If your state does not have a state income tax, you can opt out of filing a state return.  There is nothing further for you to do as it relates to filing a state return.

I was making a change to a return I had already filed. When I went through to change it and add my 1098-T form and got to the end it would let me sign and file as it said I had to file by mail because of the State Taxes. It also didn’t change the amount on my federal return either.
DeniseF1

Since your tax return has already been e-filed and accepted, you will need to wait until the first return has been processed by the IRS and then file an amended return by mail. If you are due a refund, you will need to receive it before filing the amendment.

Will something be sent to me in the mail that I fill out and send back?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies