turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mdm2255

Will my daughter be able to deduct charges for a bariatric procedure to treat obesity, for which she had to take out a loan?

She met the criteria for the required medical diagnosis however, due to the limitations of her health plan, had to pay out of pocket for the actual procedure.  It was a substantial amount of money for which she and her husband obtained personal loans. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Will my daughter be able to deduct charges for a bariatric procedure to treat obesity, for which she had to take out a loan?

She can deduct any medical expenses she actually paid in 2018. It is an itemized deduction, on Schedule 
A. She does not get 100% of the deduction, however, since there is a 7.5% of AGI floor that must be met. 

Many people who itemized in the past, no longer have to since the standard deduction has been greatly increased for 2018.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

She can deduct any medical expenses she actually paid in 2018. It is an itemized deduction, on Schedule 
A. She does not get 100% of the deduction, however, since there is a 7.5% of AGI floor that must be met. 

Many people who itemized in the past, no longer have to since the standard deduction has been greatly increased for 2018.

mdm2255

Thanks!  Not much income there, so pretty sure she'll qualify on this one.  It was not an inexpensive procedure.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies