jloberg1-

Will my 2017 tax return fall under the new GOP tax plan?

No.  There are only a few changes for 2017--the medical deduction threshold is 7.5% instead of 10% of AGI.  The real changes will happen when you file for 2018.
jloberg1-

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/make-these-5-moves-now-before-the-new-tax-law-kicks-...>

News like this made me believe the new rules will apply for my 2017 tax calculations.
TaxGuyBill

That is because some of those items change for 2018, so doing those in 2017 (before the changes take effect) will work out better for many people.
TaxGuyBill

As xmasbaby pointed out, most things don't take effect until 2018 (tax returns filed early in 2019).

The few noteworthy items I noticed that do affect 2017 (but don't affect most people) are (1) 7.5% limit for Medical Expenses (down from 10%), (2) Increased Section 179 limits for business assets, and (3) 100% Bonus depreciation for newly purchased business assets after September 27th, 2017 (and it is allowed for newly purchased "used" property).