turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will i pass the Support Test for claiming my sister as a qualifying dependant.

My Single Sister lives with me year round,and receives $1723 monthly SSDI,and has no other income.Im single also,and i know i meet all the other test for me to use Head Of Household and qualifying dependant,except do not know about the support test for providing for than half for her for half the year.I pay all the Household bills,Rent,Utilities,Groceries,for those three,they total $2300 monthly.She only has two monthly bills,which total $200,keeps $500 for herself and gives rest to me to do what ever.Based on that,would i pass the support test.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Will i pass the Support Test for claiming my sister as a qualifying dependant.

Whether you’re supporting a friend or a relative, the term “support” is generally defined as what you spend on a person to provide the basic necessities of life. Please view the information below to determine if you have provided more than half of her support for the year.

What’s included as support
  • Food
  • Lodging (even if your mortgage is paid off)
  • Clothing
  • Education (including the GI bill)
  • Medical and dental care (including insurance and supplementary Medicare premiums)
  • Recreation
  • Transportation and similar necessities

What’s not included
  • Life insurance premiums
  • Funeral expenses
  • Federal, state, or local income taxes or Social Security and Medicare taxes paid on a person's own income
  • Scholarship grants
  • Income made by a disabled person in a sheltered workshop
Manage cookies