mrphilsquatch

Will I be able to receive my tax return if my parent claimed me as his dependent thinking I didn't make over 4k last year, but in fact I did make over 4k?

IsabellaG

You'll still be able to file your tax return and claim yourself if you made $4050 or more in 2017 and you are either 19 or older and not a full time student, or 24 or older. 

Otherwise, you parent would be able to claim you if you lived with them for more than half the year, including temporary absences (like away at college), and didn't provide more than half of your own support.

If your parent's tax return has already been accepted, you will have to file a paper return by mail to claim your own exemption, because if you attempt to e-file, your return will be rejected by the IRS. If you don't claim your own exemption, you can go ahead and e-file.

IsabellaG