turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Will filing injured spouse work if a married couple both have debt but his is much greater and she is the only one employed?

we both have child support from previous relationships but mine is only a little behind and his is huge, he is a student full time and i work.how much do i allocate if most of the return is his school tax credit?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Will filing injured spouse work if a married couple both have debt but his is much greater and she is the only one employed?

When it comes to the community property state rules for injured spouse see below.

1.  If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.

That's not as difficult as it sounds, you can list the credit under him and the let the IRS do the processing which they will do in the end any way.  Once they have finished they will send or release any refund you may have coming after applying it to your unpaid delinquent debt.

For more information you can use the instructions by using this link: Instructions for Form 8379

View solution in original post

4 Replies

i supported us through the last year alone but he is claiming a education learning credit

Possibly ... it can't hurt to file a form 8379 ... you can't do any worse than having it all lost.  Allocate all of the school credit to him since it is his.

Even if I live in a community state and I'm the only provider?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

When it comes to the community property state rules for injured spouse see below.

1.  If you do live in a community property state, community income would be split equally between the two spouses.  With respect to deductions, the deductions would be split depending on whether the expenses related to community income or separate income.

That's not as difficult as it sounds, you can list the credit under him and the let the IRS do the processing which they will do in the end any way.  Once they have finished they will send or release any refund you may have coming after applying it to your unpaid delinquent debt.

For more information you can use the instructions by using this link: Instructions for Form 8379

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies