Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mariaf

Why would the MACRS convention change for assets put in service in January when I add assets acquired in December to the file?

I am working for a small business and earlier in the year I entered leasehold improvements with service dates of January, February, and April into the TurboTax fixed asset form. When I initially entered these assets, TurboTax calculated the depreciation based on the MACRS convention of half year. I recently entered two assets for December and when I rerun the report, the MACRS convention for the assets I entered for January, February, and April has changed to mid-quarter. I understand that the December assets would use the mid-quarter convention as they were placed in service after September, but why would the assets from earlier in the year also change? Is there a way to manually change them back to half year so that the accumulated depreciation is the same as before?   

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why would the MACRS convention change for assets put in service in January when I add assets acquired in December to the file?

NO ... you may not change it back ... you MUST use the mid quarter convention when you put more than 40% of assets  in use in the last quarter of the year.

http://cs.thomsonreuters.com/ua/fixa/cs_us_en/calc_depr/mq_conv/hidh_vatd_mq_diduno.htm

View solution in original post

1 Reply

NO ... you may not change it back ... you MUST use the mid quarter convention when you put more than 40% of assets  in use in the last quarter of the year.

http://cs.thomsonreuters.com/ua/fixa/cs_us_en/calc_depr/mq_conv/hidh_vatd_mq_diduno.htm

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies