mariaf

Why would the MACRS convention change for assets put in service in January when I add assets acquired in December to the file?

I am working for a small business and earlier in the year I entered leasehold improvements with service dates of January, February, and April into the TurboTax fixed asset form. When I initially entered these assets, TurboTax calculated the depreciation based on the MACRS convention of half year. I recently entered two assets for December and when I rerun the report, the MACRS convention for the assets I entered for January, February, and April has changed to mid-quarter. I understand that the December assets would use the mid-quarter convention as they were placed in service after September, but why would the assets from earlier in the year also change? Is there a way to manually change them back to half year so that the accumulated depreciation is the same as before?   

NO ... you may not change it back ... you MUST use the mid quarter convention when you put more than 40% of assets  in use in the last quarter of the year.

http://cs.thomsonreuters.com/ua/fixa/cs_us_en/calc_depr/mq_conv/hidh_vatd_mq_diduno.htm