Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brahmeyer

Why this year am I being charged for "Self Employed" when I am both W-2 AND 1099, but most my income is from W2? You never charged me extra fee before!

Very frustrating when I have almost no write-offs as a contractor, but I'm charged for the more expensive new product as if I really ran an entire small business!  Is there any way to wave a portion of that fee??
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

Why this year am I being charged for "Self Employed" when I am both W-2 AND 1099, but most my income is from W2? You never charged me extra fee before!

In past years, Deluxe would handle a 1099-MISC for self-employment if you had less than $100 (I think) of expenses.  It was changed this year so any expenses on a schedule C require the Self employed version.

If you don't want to deduct expenses at all, I think you still need to upgrade at least from Free to Deluxe to make a schedule C.  But you can try declining the upgrade and see if it allows you to report the income and not deduct expenses, or doesn't allow the income at all.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Opus 17
Level 15

In past years, Deluxe would handle a 1099-MISC for self-employment if you had less than $100 (I think) of expenses.  It was changed this year so any expenses on a schedule C require the Self employed version.

If you don't want to deduct expenses at all, I think you still need to upgrade at least from Free to Deluxe to make a schedule C.  But you can try declining the upgrade and see if it allows you to report the income and not deduct expenses, or doesn't allow the income at all.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.49m
Members

2.62m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v