Why it was asking me to choose between standard an...

Why it was asking me to choose between standard and itemized, well I choose standard without knowing if it was correct and I was trying to go back but I was enable to fix

Where is it asking for Standard Deduction or Itemized Deductions?  Are you entering a 1099G for a 2018 state refund?

Or are you filing Married filing Separate?  And it needs to know what your spouse took.

For your 2019 return you get to take either one.  Turbo Tax will automatically give your the larger deduction.  Do you think you will have enough to itemize this year?  Starting in 2018 the Standard Deduction doubled so many people switched to the Standard Deduction.  And there is a max 10,000 limit (5,000 MFS) of property tax and state taxes "SALT".

For 2019 the standard deduction on 1040 line 9 amounts are:

Single 12,200 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

HOH 18,350 + 1,650 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 24,400+ 1,300 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,200 + 1,300 for 65 and over or blind

Anonymous
Not applicable

is your filing status married filing separate?