turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mjfelton

I'm an independent contractor. All my earned income is reported on 1099-MISC. My health insurance premium s are deductible. Correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I'm an independent contractor. All my earned income is reported on 1099-MISC. My health insurance premium s are deductible. Correct?

Where to enter Self Employed Health Ins
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3637141-where-do-i-enter-my-health-insurance-premiums-if-i-m-self-...

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

BUT do not enter any Health Care Marketplace insurance you bought.  If you enter the 1095-A and select the "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box, it will automatically include those premiums in the SE Health Insurance section.  So you shouldn't enter it again on schedule C.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes, assuming you are not eligible for employer insurance (either an employer of you or an employer of your spouse).

Where to enter Self Employed Health Ins
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3637141-where-do-i-enter-my-health-insurance-premiums-if-i-m-self-...

Self-employed health insurance deduction goes on Form 1040 line 29, as long as the expense is not greater than your net self-employment income. If it does exceed your net self-employment income it gets split automatically. An amount equal to your net self-employment income goes on Form 1040 line 29, and the remainder gets added in to medical expenses on Schedule A.

BUT do not enter any Health Care Marketplace insurance you bought.  If you enter the 1095-A and select the "Self-employed and bought a Marketplace plan" box, it will automatically include those premiums in the SE Health Insurance section.  So you shouldn't enter it again on schedule C.
Src4sd

Beware, Turbotax Deluxe desktop does not properly handle some cases where health insurance is reported on 1095-A and Long Term Care Insurance is separately reported under business expenses.  Both deductions combined need to be no more than your business income, and on my return, Turbotax applied the limits separately, thus allowing a deduction that was too big.  Also, check carefully your Qualified Business Income deduction -- on mine, Turbotax failed to deduct the health insurance deduction, and therefore over-stated my QBI.  
alan8484

Why isn't TurboTax smart enough to already know I took the self-employed health insurance deduction on my schedule C and automatically skip the Health Care Marketplace questions?

Entering it on Schedule C does not necessarily mean that everybody on your tax return had non-Marketplace health insurance for the entire year.  You (or somebody else on your tax return) may have also had Marketplace insurance for at least part of the year.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies