hobbit114

Why is TurboTax telling me the Standard Deduction is $11,145, when it should be $12,000 for a Single filer?

"Based on what you've told us, we've chosen the standard deduction for you.  This deduction of $11,145 will save you the most money."

Doing my daughter's 2018 Taxes (Single).  ALL of the info on the internet, including TT Help indicates this should be $12,000.  I even switched to Itemized Deductions (only $108) and switched back, but it still is showing $11,145!    

Earlier I did use the "Clear" function to reset and start over - wondering if that somehow triggered a glitch?

Vanessa

When someone is claimed as a dependent on someone else's return the standard deduction is their earned income plus $350.  So it sounds as though her earned income was $10,795. 

Unearned income such as excess scholarship or dividend income does is not part of that calculation.

Vanessa