hootzenhollar

Why is TurboTax telling me I am getting a refund in 2019, when I made estimated tax payments in 2018, which I have done every year since I've performed music?

CherylW

The total of your estimated tax payments (line 17, Form 1040) must be more than your tax liability (line 10, Form 1040).  To check:

1.  Go to Tax Tools on the left-hand side.

2.  Go to Tools.

3.  Go to View Tax Summary.

4.  Click Preview my 1040 from the left-hand side.

If you'd like to apply your overpayment to next year's tax (2019, paid in 2020):

1.  Click Federal on the left-hand side menu.

2.  Click Other Tax Situations across the top.

3.  Click See all uncommon tax situations.

3.  Scroll down to Other Tax Forms.

5.  Click Start or Revisit by Form W-4 and Estimated Taxes.

Click No to Adjust How Much Tax You Pay.  Go through the entire estimated tax section till you get to the screen below.  You can choose to apply this year's refund to next year's taxes.

CherylW

2.  Go to Tools.

3.  Go to View Tax Summary.

3.  Scroll down to Other Tax Forms.