d1627-

Why is Turbo tax requiring me to answer the health care question? Wasn't Turbo tax supposed to be updated to take care of this?

PatriciaR

You can leave the health care section blank, but will get an error in federal review.  (You can manually bypass the health care section by selecting the next tab.)  When you get to the "File" section, you will not get an error and TurboTax will allow you to e-file.  You must make a conscious decision to bypass, as the current laws haven't changed.

If you have already entered information in the health care section and now want to leave it blank, here is a Workaround:  (TurboTax doesn’t allow for no response once something has already been selected.) 

Workaround:

1.       Go to the Healthcare section and select “None of us had it at any point”, and leave all the waivers blank.  It will trigger a penalty.  Continue on and finish the Health Care section.

2.       Go to My Account > Tools > Delete a Form, and remove  all healthcare-related forms (Healthcare Entry Sheet, 1095 entry, Form 8965). 

3.       Go to My Account > Tools > View Tax Summary > Preview My 1040 (top of page) to confirm that there is no repayment on Line 46, and that Line 61 is completely blank.

Note:  The key is to select “None of us ever had it at any point” because the checkbox for Full-Year Coverage will not clear otherwise.

PatriciaR

Workaround: