pjflora

Why is there such a large difference between my refund for federal taxes and what I owe for WV state taxes?

I completed my tax return documents for federal and WV, and for the same figures, I find that I am predicted to receive a large refund from the IRS ($3843), but owe to WV ($2079).  Of course, I understand that these are two different agencies, but that's a profound difference.  Why?

GinnyF

You may qualify for federal tax credits which are refundable, such as, Earned income Credit, Additional Child Tax Credit or some Education Credits. This would raise your federal refund. West Virginia has different tax credits than the federal credits. you may not qualify for those WV credits.
Double check that your federal and state withholding from your W-2s is correct by going back to the federal interview, Wages and Other Income and choosing Revisit on the Wages and salary line.

GinnyF