turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is it saying i filed my 2020 taxes but it was my 2019 taxes that i filed? I filed late so is that why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Why is it saying i filed my 2020 taxes but it was my 2019 taxes that i filed? I filed late so is that why?

The TurboTax online editions are Only for tax year 2020.  You will need to remove all the 2019 tax data you entered and replace it with 2020 tax data.

Once a tax return has been filed it cannot be changed, canceled or retrieved

You will have to wait for the IRS to start accepting or rejecting 2020 tax returns on February 12, 2021
If the return is rejected you can make the necessary changes and e-file again.
If the return is accepted you will have to amend your original tax return. An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a tax return originally completed and filed using the 2020 TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/01/27577

To complete and file a 2019 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2019 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2019 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Oh no.  You mean you used the current online software to prepare a 2019 tax return?  You have a problem.

The online software is ONLY for 2020 tax returns.  So you have used the wrong program and filed an incorrect return. 

If you get lucky and the IRS rejects the return you just e-filed, you will be able to correct it and re-submit it.  Cross your fingers and hope for a rejection.  

If the IRS accepts it, then you are going to have to wait until they fully process your wrong-year tax return and then amend it with the correct 2020 tax information.

Amending a tax return requires that you complete a form called a 1040X which becomes available in mid to late February; it then takes the IRS 4-6 months to process the 1040X.  So it will be a long time before you are able to get a refund for your 2020 tax return.

Meanwhile, in order to correctly file your 2019 tax return, you have to use the desktop software which you download or install from a 2019 CD. That software can only be installed on a full PC or Mac—no mobile devices. You use your 2019 information and prepare a return which has to be printed, signed and mailed.

To purchase 2019 software:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

Everything you do to correct this is going to require printing, signing and mailing the correct paperwork. When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return. 

Wait until you see what you have to do with your e-filed return before you mail in anything for 2019.  Post back here for further help if you need it.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies