drew804

Why is it making me upgrade my TurboTax to the deluxe version?

This is my 4th year using TurboTax free. At the end of me filing all info the only option I have is to upgrade to deluxe
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC0

TurboTax Free Edition (and TurboTax Live Basic) are intended for taxpayers with very simple returns that can fit on the new 1040 form without any schedules.

If we detect that your tax situation requires expanded coverage, like deductions for owning a home or self-employment income, we'll prompt you to upgrade to a version that supports the forms you need so we can maximize your tax deductions and ensure you file an accurate return.

Depending on what your tax situation was last year, you might need to use new tax forms to claim the same deductions, credits, or forms of income. Some of the situations that are now in TurboTax Deluxe and TurboTax Live Deluxe, instead of in Free Edition, include:

Go here for more info on which forms are included in TurboTax Free Edition.

pfry813

That's ludicrous! My deductions for paying student loans are like $100 less than what turbotax is attempting to charge me to upgrade to get the deductions.

DawnC

If you don't want the student loan deduction, you can delete the 1098-E form.  You are not required to take that credit.   @pfry813

Steve_09

I get turbotax deluxe with Fed and State and efile for federal for $49 online, sometimes less. So you certanly don't need to spend $100 more than you would saving.   If you want to efile state for an extra charge that is extra.  I usually just print it out and mail it in.  I'm not in so much of a hurry for the state.