turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why is form 8936 not available from turbo tax when h&r block and tax free have it available now?

why is form 8936 not available from turbo tax when h&r block and tax free have it available now?  If I don't file my taxes this weekend it will be a long time getting my refund with the impending government shutdown on the 8th

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Why is form 8936 not available from turbo tax when h&r block and tax free have it available now?

Actually, the IRS hasn't released the form yet; the 2016 form is the latest one available at IRS.gov. Once the IRS finalizes a form, all tax software companies need time to reprogram their software to support it. I obviously can't speak for H&R Block or anyone other than Intuit (even that is limited as SuperUsers are *not* Intuit employees), but if the IRS hasn't finalized the 2017 form I know TurboTax isn't ready to support it, and I doubt any other reputable tax software company will be either.

Several members of a group of Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid owners stated they have filed their returns and received their refunds with both h&r block and "tax free."   It is surprising that the IRS accepted a return electronically with data on a form that hasn't been released.  I did log on to IRS.gov and see that the form that comes up is indeed labeled 2016 in the upper right.  The data for the form showing eligible vehicles and credit allowed lists both the 2017 and 2018 FCA Pacifica Hybrid, the 2018 obviously not being available in 2016.  Not sure what the IRS is going to change other than the allowable credit.  Very frustrating waiting given the $7500 tax credit.

As I said, I can't speak for other tax software companies (and can only barely speak for Intuit). Perhaps the IRS accepts it as a 2017 form on its e-file interface, but hasn't updated the paper form to 2017; there are cases where TurboTax has filed returns even though the paper form isn't ready. It's also possible that the 2017 e-file form came in late and TurboTax programmers haven't had the opportunity to update it yet.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies