dragi0329

Why I’m getting more money from the state

Last year I didn’t get a lot of money from the state and now this year I’m getting more

Rachel_W

Without examining your State Return, it's impossible to say exactly what caused your refund to increase.  I would highly recommend you compare this year's State Tax Return to last year's State Tax Return line by line to pinpoint any differences.  Doing this will help you see exactly why this year's refund is more than last year's refund.  Also, double check your input to make sure everything has been entered correctly in TurboTax.

There are many reasons that your State Refund could be higher this year compared to last years. Some of the most common reasons include:

• Your Income Increased or Decreased
  • Your State Tax Withholding as a Percentage of Wages increased
  • You qualified for a Tax Credit this year that you didn't qualify for last year
  • Your State changed their Tax Rate or added a new Credit or Deduction
  • You changed your Filing Status
  • You added a Dependent
  • If you Itemize, your Itemized Deductions were lower last year

Rachel_W

• Your Income Increased or Decreased
  • You changed your Filing Status
  • You added a Dependent