turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why I can’t E-file my federar taxes ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The IRS is not yet accepting returns for processing. They've announced that they will begin this process on the 12th of February.

TurboTax will technically let you efile your Federal return now, but the IRS does not open to processing until February 12.   So if you do efile now, the return will just sit on TurboTax servers with a status of "pending" and cannot be cancelled or retrieved if you notice an error, get a late tax form, etc.  The IRS pulls a few returns early for testing purposes, but most people who efile now will not know until February 12 or soon after if their Federal return was accepted or rejected.

What happens when you try to efile?  Are there any error messages?   Go through the REVIEW tab and see if it tells you why you cannot yet efile.   Sometimes it's due to a form that is not yet finalized and ready for filing.   See the tables below to see if any forms in your return are not yet available for efiling.

TurboTax IRS Federal Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-pe...

State Forms Availability Table:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-...

Also, does your return have any income, or is it a zero-income return?  You cannot efile a zero-income return, but there may be a workaround.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies