triciacasey10

Why does ur program say my standard deduction for single is 1050 causing me to pay 201 in federal taxes when it should be 6300 which means i would pay no tax?

jerry2000
Alumni

When you are claimed as a dependent, there are special rules that determine what your standard deduction is. Those rules are spelled out in IRS Pub. 501, at this link
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf

jerry2000
Alumni

Are you being claimed as a dependent?
triciacasey10

yes by my parents both me and my son
jerry2000
Alumni

If you have unearned income more than $1050, it is taxable if you are someone else's dependent.  Unearned income is income from interest, investments, stocks and bonds, and certain other passive activities.  The $6300 limit applies to earned income (income from working or performing a service).