turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does the total of my estimated tax payments not add correctly even though the amounts appear to be entered correctly? What is causing this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Why does the total of my estimated tax payments not add correctly even though the amounts appear to be entered correctly? What is causing this?

Is the total too much or less?  The amount on 1040 line 17, right?  Go back and double check all the dates and amounts.  If it is for a state return check you have the right state in the drop down box.

The total is too low.  I applied my 2017 refund to my first estimated tax installment and then made three more estimated payments.  The numbers are entered correctly in Turbotax but the total is too low by $345.  The numbers just dont add up. I think it must be a software problem.

I assume that's not the amount of your 2017 refund?  Check and see if the refund transferred over right.  
Federal on left
Deductions and Credits at top
Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid
Other Income Taxes - Click the Start or Revisit

Next page scroll down to 2017 Refund Applied to 2018
Click Start or Update by the tax you applied

I've checked it at least five times and all the numbers are input correctly.

The only thing I can think to do is to delete them all and make sure you have zero on line 17.  Then add them back in and check line 17 after each one you enter to see where the error occurs.  

Thanks for trying to help.  I ended up calling the support line and after 2 people were unable to figure it out, the third person finally explained that the totals on the Tax Breaks page are essentially meaningless.  You have to go all the way through to the end for the explanation of your refund (or tax due) and the correct numbers will be there as long as you entered them correctly.  In my opinion this year's version of Turbotax has been quite confusing and frustrating and I have used Turbotax for many many years.

You may have applied your refund to next year's liability.  In that case, your refund from this year will be subtracted from your first estimated payment.

If that doesn't answer your question, please post back to this thread.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies