Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

e-schlaep

Why does it say I paid $4000 on my federal tax return when I am filling out my state tax return, when I really entered much more than that from my 1098 form?

I am trying to do my Oregon tax return, and when I try to enter my tuition expenses, it is telling me the number I am entering is too high.  However, the number it says is listed on my federal return ($4000) seems random and is much less than I actually paid in tuition.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelMc

Why does it say I paid $4000 on my federal tax return when I am filling out my state tax return, when I really entered much more than that from my 1098 form?

I believe the number to which you are referring is the Tuition and Fees Deduction, Line 34 on Form 1040. That deduction is capped at $4,000 per year, regardless of how much more you may have paid in qualified tuition and fees for post-secondary education.

The following guidance is provided by the Oregon Department of Revenue: 

"Full-year residents. Oregon allows the deduction you claimed on your federal return. The federal deduction flows through to your Oregon return via your federal adjusted gross income. Do not claim an additional deduction on your Oregon return." [Emphasis added.]

For more information, please refer to https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/forms/FormsPubs/publication-or-17_101-431_2016.pdf, page 52.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelMc

I believe the number to which you are referring is the Tuition and Fees Deduction, Line 34 on Form 1040. That deduction is capped at $4,000 per year, regardless of how much more you may have paid in qualified tuition and fees for post-secondary education.

The following guidance is provided by the Oregon Department of Revenue: 

"Full-year residents. Oregon allows the deduction you claimed on your federal return. The federal deduction flows through to your Oregon return via your federal adjusted gross income. Do not claim an additional deduction on your Oregon return." [Emphasis added.]

For more information, please refer to https://www.oregon.gov/DOR/forms/FormsPubs/publication-or-17_101-431_2016.pdf, page 52.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies